Apparently, though unproven, at 22:21 on Monday 18 April 2011, Alan Mackenzie
did opine thusly:

> > These are the items that require libgcrypt with static-libs USE flag
> > set. Sometimes changing USE flags on thse packages will change the
> > dependency requirements. Sometimes it's just something new that the
> > maintainer added since a previous version.
>
> OK.  I was getting confused by "dependency required", which sounds
> tautological.  What it seems to mean is "package required".

It really does mean exactly what it says. Look at it again:

(dependency required by "sys-fs/cryptsetup-1.1.3-r3[-dynamic]" [ebuild])

It's saying there is a dependency, and the package that requires it is
cryptsetup. Read it like this::

(dependency, required by ..... )

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com