On 04/20/2011 06:21 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> Okay, I'm combining the portage distfiles dir into a storage server.
>
> Problem: the storage server is Windows 2003.
>
> Question: should I mount the distfile dir using SMB/CIFS or NFS? Is
> there any performance and/or complexity issues?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rgds,

I have noticed better performance in straight copies from NFS on my
Windows SBS 2003, but I have had some trouble getting UIDs to map
correctly on the linux end.  Admittedly, though, I haven't gone to a
great deal of effort to map every Windows user to a UID.  I haven't
tested rsync, but cp did go much more quickly on the files I was looking
at (few, >2GB files).

-Andy