On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 23:16:39 +0100, Mick wrote:

> > It's rarely desirable to enable doc globally. It is best to enable
> > only for those packages where you need extended documentation.
>
> @Alan Mackenzie:
>
> What Neil is saying can be achieved by setting package specific USE
> flags in the file /etc/portage/package.use; e.g. use an entry like:

What I'm saying is that you should have -doc in /etc/make.conf and enable
it on a per-package basis. The doc flag builds extra documentation that
general users don't need, man/info/html pages are included by default (at
least, that's how it is supposed to work, the odd package, like ffmpeg,
won't even include a man page without the doc flag).

--
Neil Bothwick

This is as bad as it can get-but don't bet on it.