Hi, Mick.

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 04:44:05PM +0100, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 24 April 2011 14:25:58 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hi, Mick.

> > > python-updater -v -p

> > > to get a list of these.

> > That gives me a list of 24 packages.  Am I meant to actually run
> > python-updater without the -p, here?

> That's correct.  As the man emerge say -p stands for --pretend.  Just
> to give a chance to see what it wants to do and think about it before
> you run it again without it for execution.

> You need to do this next.

DONE.

> > > When you finish all this you can run:

> > > emerge --depclean -v -p

> > > It should now ask you to remove the old python, but check carefully
> > > the remaining packages in case something important is in the list
> > > and breaks your system.

> > I do emerge --depclean -v -p.  It says I should run emerge -uDN
> > @world first.  I'm a bit apprehensive about this, since the world
> > update says it would reemerge 138 packages (I'm not sure whether this
> > is top-level (whatever that means) packages or the real total).  In
> > that list are 3 blockages I don't know wha do do with.  My experience
> > suggests this will not work smoothly, and I'll likely be left with a
> > non-working (or even a non-bootable) system.

> At this stage you should only run:

> python-updater -v

> Nothing else.

> Once it completes you can run --depclean which will ask you to remove
> the older 2.6 python package.

I had to (or, at least, did) run emerge -uND @world.  Funnily enough, it
ran to completion without manual intervention.  :-)  I'd like to run
--depclean, but it's threatening to remove my 2.6.31-r6 kernel sources,
which correspond to my working kernel.  What's the easiest way to protect
these from --depclean?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).