On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:42 AM, Davide Carnovale <
francesco.davide.carnov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> yes, the problem was that python 2.6 was unmerged and the new one wasn't
> selected yet. so eselecting the new python (2.7) and running python-updater
> restored my system. i used an usb version of the livedvd to help me in this,
> as wicd was among the broken things and i couldn't connect to the net to
> download the required packages to update python.
> so thanks everyone for the hints that led me to the solution and particular
> thanks to helmut, alan, kevin and stroller.
> i'll follow your suggestions and definitely pay more attention in the
> future while updating the system =)

> 2011/5/3 Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>
>
>> On 05/02/2011 06:05:08 PM, Davide Carnovale wrote:
>> > @alan, no error are printed, where and what should i look for in the
>> > logs?
>> >
>> > @helmut python just returns to the console, without error or effect
>> > of
>> > any
>> > sort, does it means python has get unmerged and that's why emerge
>> > doesn't
>> > work anymore?
>> >

>> You have got many hints from others.
>> To consider the problem from all sides you my try
>>
>> ldd /usr/bin/python2.6
>> ldd /usr/bin/python2.7
>>
>> and see if all dynamic libraries could be loaded.
>>
>> And if that fails, here a hint from an earlier thread
>>
>> Recovering Gentoo from a broken python
>>  This may be a life saver. I noticed that I have two version of python
>> installed on my Gentoo box. So I thought I'd try uninstalling the old
>> one. This actually uninstalls the latest version libraries leaving me
>> with a warning such as "ImportError: no such module time". This is bad
>> as you cannot use emerge at all not even to emerge python to fix
>> things. To fix, as root:
>>
>> cd /root
>> wget http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/Python-2.7.1.tar.bz2
>> tar jxvf Python-2.7.1.tar.bz2
>> cd Python-2.7.1
>> ./configure
>> make
>> ./python emerge python
>> cd /root
>> rm -rf Python-2.7.1*
>> You are now fixed.
>>
>> Or replace 2.7.1 by 2.6.6 if your system has been running under
>> Python 2.6 before the problem arose.
>>
>> Helmut.

Thanks from me too.

Lots of good ideas in this thread.  I'm glad the thread was there already
when I ran into exactly the same thing.
I can't even take refuge in claiming to be a n00b -- I've run gentoo on my
main machine since somewhere
around 2002, when I finished grad school and bought it for myself as a
present. (two dual-core Xeons, 2GB DDR ECC,
built from parts as suggested as the machine of the year (or something like
that) by Linux Journal).

I wound up with Gentoo because slower-release distros did not have kernels
that knew how to configure such a
machine -- I never figured out if it was the Xeon stuff or just SMP.
Anyway, an up-to-date kernel avoided it
triggering clock slowdowns.  Nothing like having a state-of-the-art machine
that persists in running at 10%.

I do try to get elogs by email, but its flakey for some reason. But some of
those other steps mentioned above I've never
heard of before.   Time for a little studying (sigh).

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD