A couple of weeks ago I switched my gcc profile over and rebuilt
everything with emerge -e system and emerge -e world.  Now, when I
restart the computer (any of the three on my LAN), the NFS shares listed
in /etc/fstab are not automatically mounted.  I can mount them manually
with no errors.  Here's an example of one of my /etc/fstab files:

camille ~ # cat /etc/fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.18.4.1
2005/01/31 23:05:14 vapier Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally
aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of
storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and
# switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.

<dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to
opts.
/dev/sda2               /boot             ext2          noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/sda6               /                 ext3          noatime         0 1
/dev/sda7               none              swap          sw
0 0
/dev/sda5               none              swap          sw              0 0
/dev/sdb1               /mnt/store/       xfs           noatime
0 0
#/dev/sda1              /mnt/windows      ext3          noatime         0 1
/dev/sr0                /mnt/cdrom        iso9660       noauto,ro       0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy       auto          noauto          0 0
carter:/backup          /backup/carter    nfs           bg,hard
0 0
carter:/usr/portage     /usr/portage      nfs           bg,hard
0 0
carter:/home/michael/camera /mnt/Pictures nfs           bg,hard         0 0
nfs bg,hard     0 0
#carter:/home/michael/BizarreBits  /home/michael/BizarreBits/       nfs
bg,hard         0 0
catherine:/backup       /backup/catherine nfs           bg,hard
0 0
# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc                    /proc             proc          defaults        0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm                     /dev/shm        tmpfs           nodev,nosuid,noexec
0 0

I can say at the command prompt:

mount carter:/backup          /backup/carter

and it works fine without any errors.  Why are these not being mounted
at boot?  Netmount starts at the default runlevel, but my nfs shares are
not mounting...