Hi,

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:53:54 +0200
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've attached the output of e2fsck -n. Could you please tell me how bad it
> looks? Are there questions to which answering yes is dangerous?
>
> e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
> Warning!  /dev/hda2 is mounted.

That is done in a mounted situation. I guess, it is even read/write-
mounted?

Well, I'll cite the man page:
---snip
Note that in general it is not safe to run e2fsck on mounted
filesystems.  The only exception is if the -n option is specified, and -
c, -l, or -L options are not specified. However, even if it is safe
to do so, the results printed by e2fsck are not valid if the filesystem
is mounted.
---snip

This is very harsh, I'd say, remounting it ro (read-only), sync'ing it
and then doing "e2fsck -n" will give a lot more valid information.

In mounted state, esp. read-write, it is pretty normal on a busy system
to have these inconsistencies the e2fsck dump showed...

-hwh