Apparently, though unproven, at 16:12 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Alan Mackenzie
did opine thusly:

> > The specific files that define the system set are called "packages"
>
> OK.  Some of these directories have got three parents.  ;-)  The people
> deciding what goes into the "packages"es must have very steady hands.

hehehe :-)

That just means that that part of the profile has three completely different
aspects to it. Think of it this way (sucked out of my thumb, too lazy to cat
through files right now):

A desktop profile might want to inherit it's config from the

amd64
testing
kde

profiles. This make sense, all three are completely different things and by
and large won't have conflicting things in them. This saves the devs having to
maintain 9 different profiles (all combinations of the above) and keep
everything in sync. With cascading profiles they maintain three simple, easy
to understand things that (seldom) go fubar

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com