Googling above or similar is getting me nothing useful: 70% non-English pages, and of the remainder, 90% questions without answers (from forums.gentoo.org), and of those with answers, answers specific to packages bearing no apparent relationship to those failing to emerge for me. There are plenty hits for 'die "econf failed"' and 'ERROR:...failed (compile phase)', just nothing useful.

How can my attempts to follow the Handbook instructions have failed so miserably that I can't even emerge such a basic package as Grub Legacy?

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/ has my build.log, config.log and eclass-debug.log files from 6 different emerge failures, plus output of emerge --info. Is there something akin to a Handbook page that describes similar failures and how to fix them? Is my problem not a common blocker for new users? How can I make any progress with everything hitting this apparently same or similar problem? Since I got a working kernel and mc, I've not managed to get anything else to emerge. :-(

As an aside, pages like http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml don't fit. My browser viewport can be up to 1392px wide, and yet there's a horizontal scroll of 50% or so, making it really difficult to use such pages. I can dezoom to make the scollbar go away, but of course that restores the original illegibility for the pages' CSS.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/