Joseph wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 10:03 -0600, Joseph wrote:
>

>>I have a BenQ DW1620 DVD/RW drive but DMA is not set, even though it
>>support it.  When I try to set it using:  using_dma -d 1
>>It will not let me.
>>
>>Was the limit set by the manufacture?
>>
>>--
>>#Joseph
>>

>I think the issue might be the driver for BenQ writer units.
>Does anybody know what driver should be used with BenQ, if it is
>available at all?

Hi,
First thing to do is to make sure you have support for your mobos'
chipset into kernel-config.
Then emerge/install hdparm and have a customized '/etc/conf.s/hdparm' file.
Ex.(mine):
hda_args="-d1 -A1 -m16 -u1 -a64" // this is for my hard disk
all_args="-d1"                                 // this is for all other
disks - DVD-R and DVD-RW
Think i took this mainly from install-guide.2005.0. Don't forget to
start "/etc/init.d/hdparm start" as root and if everything is OK,
"rc-update add hdparm default" to always have this at boot time.
Test with "hdparm -Tt /dev/hdX" X is a,b,c,d (for an IDE-disk) check
again "man hdparm" for the options ;)
HTH. Rumen