Hi All,

When I previously posted and got the response below, it may as well
have been hieroglyphics because I had no idea what Bob was talking
about.  However, when I went back to square one and got to the point
of compiling the kernel, I still used genkernel, but ran the
makemenuconfig utility and saw that the format was as below.  So, I
made the changes that Bob suggested.  Now, I _don't_ get the errors as
in my previous attempt and as displayed below.

Bob Sanders wrote:

>> After attempting to connect to the xserver, I got my shell prompt
>> back again with the following printed on the screen:
>>
>> New driver is "i810" (==)Using default built in configuration
>> (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device --> I have no idea what this
>> means (EE) GARTinit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (no such file or
>> directory) (EE)I810(0) AGPGART support is not available. Make
>> sure your kernel has agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel
>> module is loaded (EE)Screens found, but non have useable
>> configuration Fatal server error: no screens found i
>

> /dev/fb0 is the framebuffer. No need to worry about that if using
> X. But if running a splash screen, then it needs to be defined in
> the kernel. There is a how-to on gentoo-wiki.org explaining how to
> setup the system and kernel.
>
> The other, you'll need to re-config your kernel to include -
>
> Device Drivers --> I2C Support --> <M> I2C support <*> I2C device
> interface I2C Hardware Bus Support --> <M > Intel 810/815
>
> And -
>
> Device Drivers --> Character Devices --> Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx
> and E7x05 chipset support

However, x still won't start and I get the  message 'Cannot run in
framebuffer mode'.

I don't think that I changed anything related to framebuffers when I
ran makemenuconfig.

It was also my understanding that although I could use a vga statement
in my grub.conf file to specify a framebuffer device, that with a
gentoo patched kernel, I didn't need to.

So, any idea where I made my mistake?

Regards,

Colleen