On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:33:27 +0800
Ow Mun Heng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I too use XFS for my Home Directory. I think I've suffered 1 instance of
> curruption in the entire 2 years I've had this laptop. (Touch Wood)

Perhaps I should mention one of the main reasons I use XFS - the tools.
Performance
is not a reason.  Reliability is a reason.  And the tools.

xfs_check and xfs_repair are about the best I've seen.  No, if your LVM
superblock is
trashed, they won't fix it.  They fix the filesystem, not the disk/partition
structure.

And xfs_dump/xfs_restore make cloning a partition very easy.  Given all the
discussion
in this list alone about cloning drives, I'm really surprised more people don't
adopt XFS
just for this issue alone.

Disclaimer - yes I work for SGI.  No I don't develop, I break software.  And I
pull plugs
on running systems.  So any advice I give here on anything related to SGI
products
should be treated with caution. No, I don't speak for SGI.  And yes I really do
use XFS
on almost all my systems - Trying ext3 on a Kurobox (200 MHz PPC runnng Gentoo)
and
RiserFS on one of the desktop x86 systems.

Bob
-