On Wednesday 15 June 2011 23:38:01 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > > I did it, it was even a new one!
> > >
> > >  > This seems soooo much like a hardware failure

> > > I would like this was the key, but...   :-(
> >
> > OK, let's look at this from the router side ... what router make &
> > model do you have?
>
> I'd go even more basic, connect directly to another computer using a
> crossover cable, set addresses on both with ifconfig and see if they can
> ping one another. This really sounds like broken hardware and if the
> cable is fine, the NIC is suspect.

Or swap the cable with a working PC and vice-versa.
If then the issue stays with the currently broken one, then the issue is
probably with the network card in the broken one.

If the issue affects the other PC, then the problem is the cable. I've had
issues before where I couldn't get a connection using CAT-6 cables. Didn't
check properly and the network card wouldn't allow it. The card did, however,
claim there was a link...

--
Joost