Apologies if I missed someone already asking these:

1. are the lights on or flashing with a cable plugged in and pinging
something valid?

2. can you ping yourself (both 127.0.0.1 and the nic IP) - cable plugged
in

3. do you have IP tables installed - "iptables -vnL" and check you have
not firewalled yourself off from the world somehow.

4. set up a ping and check "dmesg" and terminal 12 (<ctrl-alt-F12>) for
anything meaningful.

5. as an outside chance, run "modinfo [eth_module]" - get the right
module name from "lsmod"

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <bi...@iinet.net.au>