Holly Bostick wrote:

Allan Spagnol Comar schreef:
it is necessary to make any changes to get the packages from version
2005.1 while using 2005.0.

I read somewhere that we should change the symlink /etc/make.profile
to the new 2005.1 profile and resync, I dided and after sync there
where no updates for my system. Is this right ?

Probably, assuming that you normally keep your packages up to date.

Profiles mean "nothing"-- insofar as portage doesn't "divide" packages
based on profile. In other words, it's not as if baselayout 1.11.13 is
only available to the 2005.1 profile, while the 2005.0 profile can only
have 1.9.4-r6 or something. Portage does sometimes disable or enable
certain USE flags based on profile, but this is unlikely to be a big
issue unless you're changing to a completely different profile (i.e.,
from default x86 to selinux or something). And in any case, the profile
is regularly incrementally updated, most likely to reflect critical
updates (ever notice that "Performing Global Updates" that Portage
sometimes delays your emerge with?).

The profile is really only an issue on initial install. After that, it's
fairly irrelevant to daily life (until Portage flatly says to upgrade it
as the old profiles are unsupported-- most likely meaning that they will
not be updated to reflect "things we know now that we didn't know when
we designed the old profile"). But otherwise, I'm sure there's still a
couple of people around here with the 1.4 profile, and definitely some
with a 2004 profile-- because the profile "name" is not particularly
important once Gentoo is actually up and running.

So it's not that you got "bad" advice, but I would say that "we *should*
change the profile symlink" is probably too strong a term, as far as
advice goes. If you really, really have to change the profile, Portage
will tell you to do so; otherwise it's just cosmetic.

As far as I know :-) .

Holly
Just to add, /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.1/packages vs /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0/packages it is not that different anyway. Not that's that any indication of anything.

I wish there were Release Notes supplied with the announcement of the new release to satisfy curiosity of what is new/different in this release.

Eugene.