On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:27:53 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > > So is giving the files sensible names :)
> >
> > That was what I liked about autounmask, the tree version not the
> > portage one.  It gave them some names at least.  Still felt like
> > looking for a needle in a haystack sometimes tho.
>
> I'm with you, Dale. I have no /etc/portage/package.* directories here
> on this amd64 box - I just keep entries in alphabetical order in single
> files. I find it easier.

That doesn't help with linked packages with different names. If foo
requires libbar with USE="snafu", I put it in/etc/portage/package.use/foo
Then if I remove foo, I remove the use file. If they were alphabetically
sorted, and therefore separate, in one file, I wouldn't make the
connection. And I don't have to worry about sorting package.use every
time I make a change, ls does that for me.

--
Neil Bothwick

God is real, unless specifically declared integer.