John wrote:
Since upgrading my kernel to .39 my beloved splash screen has stopped
working. I have followed guidelines in wiki that someone has very kindly
written. Reverting back to older kernel the splash screen works as
expected. I've tried this on 2 machines. I have seen somewhere that a
patch is added to kernel to help this. Is this included in .39?

I believe the issue maybe due to /sbin/fbcondecor_helper in initrd but
not really too sure. My debugging skills are lacking somewhat.

Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone offer an alternative
method for producing splash.

I am currently using vesafb and splash_geninitramfs to create splash
screens?

I have noticed that people seem to have various issues with .39. Maybe roll back to a older kernel and give it a few versions to get some fixes in. I had X issues, someone else had some network issue and someone else has some other odd issue. I think .39 is currently a lemon.

If you can make it with the old .38 version, I would. At least for a little bit anyway.

Dale

:-)  :-)