On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:54, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 06:52, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

--snippage--

>> Yes, it's a trivial fix (everything's trivial if you know how to do it :)
>>
>> The /dev directory (before udev starts) is missing the /dev/console
>> device -- or maybe it's the /dev/null device.  Crap, I can't recall
>> just now but I fixed the problem a week or two ago by using mknod to
>> create the missing device (I think it was /dev/console).
>>
>> Just chroot into your fresh vm and see what's missing from the /dev
>> directory.  Use mknod to create the missing device.
>>

> Actually, both.
>
> The stage3 tarball I had (approx. 2 weeks old) has /dev/null, but it's
> a *normal* file.
>
> Just do:
>
> rm -f $root/dev/{null,console}
> mknod $root/dev/console c 5 1
> mknod $root/dev/null c 1 3
>
> $root is either blank if you've chroot-ed into /mnt/gentoo, or
> /mnt/gentoo if you haven't
>
> (The numbers you can see by doing `ls -l -a /dev` *before* chroot-ing)

Sorry. Forgot to stress one thing as posted in the previously-posted
LQ thread (Post #8 by ToK):

DO NOT mount /dev into /mnt/gentoo/dev when you do the rm+(2*mknod)
above. When you `ls /mnt/gentoo/dev`, you should see only the 'null'
and 'console' special character devices, and no other devices.

umount it, if you have to. Cast the above spells, then re-mount. *Then* chroot.

Rgds,
--
Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~