On Friday 01 July 2011 10:39:18 Alan Mackenzie did opine thusly:
> Hi, Gentoo!
>
> After emerge-synching, an emerge -puND gives, in part:
>
>     [ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/gnome-pty-helper-0.28.1
>     [ebuild     U ] x11-libs/vte-0.28.1-r200 [0.26.2]
> USE="introspection*" [blocks b     ] <x11-libs/vte-0.27.90
> ("<x11-libs/vte-0.27.90" is blocking
> x11-libs/gnome-pty-helper-0.28.1)
>
> .  Am I right in thinking that the block means "your vte version is
> too old for gnome-pty-helper"?

Yes.

> It seems that emerge is using the old vte version rather than the
> one it's about to install.  In this case, can I just emerge vte "by
> hand" first?

unmerge vte and re-run the original emerge, prevents accidental
clutter of world and saves time

or better:

unmask portage and install 2.2_some_huge_number_alpha,
ignore what your instincts tell you about rc and alpha - a project
that hit 100 -rc versions and is now on 41 alphas is probably abusing
the terms :-)

Recent portage just knows how to deal with these blockers and just
does what it needs to do to make it work.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com