On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

>> > Only when you ask them to.
>>
>> I'm stupid.  Of _course_ a live CD can't mount HDD filesystems at boot.
>> To do this it would need /etc/fstab, for which it would need to be told
>> the root partition.  A live CD doesn't get this.
>
> A live CD can mount partitions automatically at boot, some do. all it
> needs to do is scan the disk partition tables, create the mount points
> and mount them.
>
> Knoppix has been doing the first two for years, and writing the details
> to /etc/fstab to allow the user to mount them easily.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

And to further complicate it, many also use a similar technique for
finding themselves, mounting one filesystem after another until they
find some distinct marker file to identify where to find the rest of
their data. Others auto-mount and poke around for auto-loading of
extensions unless such features are disabled by a boot-time option.

--
Joshua M. Murphy