On Monday 04 July 2011 13:47:28 Mark Knecht did opine thusly:
<alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 04 July 2011 11:20:43 Mark Knecht did opine thusly:

> >> I'm a little confused by his post also, but I've never run a
> >> machine without Xorg so maybe it's a technical point. With a
> >> framebuffer I believe you can get a boot screen like the
> >> Install CD - a bunch of little Tux's across the top - so
> >> you're doing graphics at that point but you're not running X?
> >>
> >> I was curious about this topic awhile back wondering if you
> >> could run a Gentoo VM with only a framebuffer and get any
> >> graphics at all, or is it just that the framebuffer is used
> >> to give you more control over the console font/height/width
> >> selection.
> >>
> >> (I've never run a framebuffer, if that's not obvious!)
> >
> > bootsplash does not run under X (well, on redhat it used to, but
> > you really don't want to go there) - this should be obvious as
> > you don't see the X start-up sequence happening at early boot
> > time.
> >
> > There are many things boot splash could use for displaying
> > images
> > (fbcon etc etc) or even something of it's own invention. I'm not
> > familiar enough with it to say how it really does it.
> >

> > --
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>
> so does bootsplash run using framebuffer or is it completely
> different?

I have no idea actually. I could say it must run in a framebuffer-like
abstraction but that is obvious and doesn't tell you anything you
don't already know.

Spock is the dev that knows most about these things, a good first
research point would be to search his name and find related docs.

Sorry I can't be more help - I have the concepts in my head but not
the facts

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com