On Tuesday 05 July 2011 00:18:48 Roman Zilka did opine thusly:
> > I think this is the root cause of your questions. You say
> > "portage has  no way to know the difference" - who says that is
> > true? Did you assume it?
>
> It sure is possible. I assumed what I did because the ebuild of a
> virtual and a normal package reveal no differences relevant to this,
> as it seems to me with my level of knowledge. Also, asking for a
> virtual as a runtime dep is done in the same way as asking for any
> other package. Furthermore, the manpage for emerge says nothing
> about the virtuals being different w.r.t. --update or any other
> option.

Let's face it, it's quite a reasonable assumption.

If you still want (need?) a proper answer, post a bug at b.g.o. with
clear examples and wait for Zac to answer up.

I'm tending toward what you see is the intended behaviour, but poorly
documented at this point.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com