On Thursday, July 7 at 19:15 (+0100), john said:

> I am trying to start virt-manager but when I start the daemon
>
> /etc/init.d/libvirtd i get
>
>  * Starting libvirtd ...
> /usr/sbin/libvirtd: error: Unable to initialize network sockets.
> Check /var/log/messages or run without --daemon for more info.
>  * start-stop-daemon: failed to start
> `/usr/sbin/libvirtd'                [ !! ]
>  * ERROR: libvirtd failed to start
>
> Any suggestions???

Other than the obvious (which is to check /var/log/messages or run
without --daemon)...

My guess is that you have enabled the virt-network USE flag but the
system is not configured as such that it could start the default virtual
network.  Among other things you need:

      * iptables support in there kernel
      * bridging support in the kernel
      * tun/tap support in the kernel
      * brctl (probably a dependency of the package itself)
      * iproute2 (probably a dependency of the package itself)

Did /var/log/messages tell you anything (did you bother to look)?  Also
libvirt has a log level that can be set in the config, you could
increase that (and also check the logs).

You should also check the logs.

-a