On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 01:09 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday, 15 July 2011 07:02:43 William Kenworthy did opine thusly:
> > Hi, I have just "repurposed" a server to a desktop, added X/gnome
> > and all the usual apps.  However, the display is missing
> > "characters" or parts of them as the png image shows.  Video card
> > is an inbuilt 82945G/GZ using the o915 driver on a 20" Hitachi CRT
> > running 1600x1200.
> >
> > http://wdk.dyndns.org/Screenshot.png
> >
> > What setting have I missed? - appears not to be subpixel smoothing.
>
> I noticed it's only the b and m characters that are rendered wrong.
> Does the problem persist if you use a different font? I assume this is
> displayed in X and not on a text console.

Yes, its in anything X - the screendump was from evolutions text pane
but literally any X text does it.

But its just come good ... and I dont know why!  After spending hours
yesterday, and some time this morning on it went into work for a couple
of hours, left it running (and nothing restarted/changed after doing the
screen dump except the screensaver cut in) and its now good!

grrrrr!

BillK