On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:16:21 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:

> > The contestants are not really selling their privacy, just performing
> > for pay. but even if they were, it is theirs' to give or sell, not
> > ours to take.

> I thought that the whole point of an inalienable right was that it could
> not be bought or sold (or given or taken, for that matter).
>
> I was thinking about the distinction you made, and wondering if it meant
> that I could legally sell my (supposed) inalienable right to
> freedom/liberty on eBay (i.e., can I sell myself into slavery-- not
> indentured servitude, but actual slavery,

That's not a valid comparison, because the idi^H^H^Hcontestants on BB are
only selling their privacy for a limited time, not for good. Most of them
probably find their lives become private again far sooner than they had
wished, the talentless, publicity-seeking wannabes.

Besides that, if freedom is an inalienable right, does that not include
the freedom to sell that freedom? Not that we really have any truly
inalienable rights.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'd give real money if he'd shut up!