Mick wrote:
It must be one of the most annoying things in Gentoo when OOo fails at the
very last minute!

It may be this was caused by me forgetting to set MAKEOPTS="-j1" but just in
case something else is amiss, does this look familiar?
<<  SNIP>>
Before I start again, shall I switch to libreoffice-3.3.1 or is it not yet as
polished as OOo?

I found a post on the forums that mentioned disabling the nsplugin as a fix. You may want to try that if it is not a really long compile for you. If it is a long one, may want to wait and see if anyone else thinks this will work.

Dale

:-)  :-)