>> Sounds like a case for a swap partition that can be activated when you
>> need it for big emerges. I hit the same thing with firefox-5 oddly
>> enough.
>
> I have one smallish swap partition at PRI=10 and a bigger one at PRI=1.
>
>> As for OOo, long ago I figured the pain wasn't worth the gain so now I
>> use the -bin packages.
>
> Or switch to Libre Office. Its compiler requirements seem lighter than OO.o.

I tried libreoffice with the same result.  Much more strangely, I
enabled a 10GB swap file and got the same error.  I thought it was a
virtual memory problem at first but now that I look more closely it
looks like a java problem:

Could not reserve enough space for code cache
JavaVM: JNI_CreateJavaVM called _exit, caught by abort_handler in javavm.cxx
[Java framework] sunjavaplugin.soCan not create JavaVirtualMachine,
abort handler was called.
[Java framework] The JRE specified by the bootstrap variable
UNO_JAVA_JFW_JREHOME  or  UNO_JAVA_JFW_ENV_JREHOME  could not be
recognized. Check the values and make sure that you use a plug-in
library that can recognize that JRE.
register component
'file:///var/tmp/portage/app-office/libreoffice-3.3.1/work/libreoffice-build-3.3.1.2/build/libreoffice-3.3.1.2/testtools/source/bridgetest/../../unxlngx6.pro/class/testComponent.jar'
in registry '../../unxlngx6.pro/lib/uno_services.rdb' failed!
error (CannotRegisterImplementationException): Could not create Java
implementation loader
dmake:  Error code 1, while making '../../unxlngx6.pro/lib/uno_services.rdb'

Is this because I've eselect'ed icedtea6-bin instead of sun-jdk-1.6?

BTW, can anyone tell me why I'm using icedtea6-bin instead of icedtea?

- Grant