> I'm guessing that radeon-ucode and rt61-firmware and all the others
> are being deprecated in favour of linux-firmware, but i don't recall
> seeing an elog on it.

Does anyone know if this is the case?  Doesn't seem very Gentoo-like,
although it should minimize package management for the devs which is
good.

>> but now
>> that I look closer I realize that ifconfig doesn't show an eth0
>> interface at all even though lspci -v shows:
>>
>> Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI
>> Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
>> Kernel driver in use: r8169
>>
>> Shouldn't the eth0 interface appear in ifconfig once the r8169 driver
>> is loaded?  dmesg has no mention of eth0 or r8169.
>
> That's odd. Does that box still have the failed loading firmware
> error? Perhaps missing firmware stops eth0 from being created. I'd try
> installing linux-fireware and trying again (assuming you havent
> already).

I didn't have the firmware error on the desktop but I installed
linux-firmware and now eth0 is renamed to eth1 and appears under
iwconfig (no wireless extensions) but not under ifconfig.  My laptop's
r8169 eth0 appears under ifconfig even when there's no ethernet cable
attached.  That's the expected behavior isn't it?

- Grant