Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 20:02,  <c...@chrekh.se> wrote:
>> Also, beware. If you recompile glibc withe NPTL_KERN_VER set, you can't
>> boot with older kernels anymore.
>>

> Can you explain what did you mean with "older kernels"? Kernels older
> than a certain version, or a previously-compiled kernel on my system?

Older then the kernel you specified, previously-compiled kernels not
older than that is still fine.

Any executable linked to glibc will fail unconditionally with
"FATAL: Kernel too old", including init.

> Anyways, this is a fresh install, so I don't think I'll have any trouble.
>
> But will still appreciate a reference and/or explanation re:
> NPTL_KERN_VER, though.

glibc will be configured with --enable-kernel=2.6.38

The configure help says this;

 --enable-kernel=VERSION compile for compatibility with kernel not older than
VERSION

--
 Christer