Hi list,

I've just spent the last 4 days or so trying to get an old laptop up to date. It
hasn't been sync'd for at least 8 months so you can imagine the hell it's been.

Anyway, I've managed to get everything nicely updated but there's one problem
that I
just can't fix or find relevant discussion about.

My /etc/conf.d/keymaps defines my keyboard layout as "uk" and this works fine
in the
console. Unfortunately, in gnome the keyboard is resolutely stuck on US. I can
add the
English UK layout in the keyboard preferences, and it looks fine when I first
select
it. However they layout doesn't change and when I "Show" the English UK layout,
it
shows a standard US layout.

No matter what I do (which admittedly isn't very much as I don't know X stuff
that
well), I cannot get a decent keyboard layout in gnome.

Any tips would be appreciated before I rip all the keys off and get the super
glue
out.

Thanks