On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Adam Carter <adamcart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.itworld.com/open-source/193823/how-linux-mastered-wall-street
>
> This is related to a question I wanted to poll the list with. How does
> everybody here use Gentoo? For personal use? Production use? For
> server, desktop or embedded roles? What's your most interesting setup
> or use case?

I have one laptop, three desktops (two at my university), one HTPC
(with an ION Zotac mobo), and 2 servers, for very different purposes
each. The servers are in production.

Some years ago I administered the desktop machines in my work: Ten
gentoo boxen compiling in parallel with distcc; that was awesome.

My most interesting setup by far is the HTPC, I guess: it boots really
quickly (thanks to systemd), and it has a lot of little modifications
so I don't need to ssh into it to do anything: Everything is done
through the remote control.

In all my computers (i.e., not the two desktops at uni, since they are
not "mine") I use systemd (which thankfully has entered the portage
tree), and in my desktop and laptop I use GNOME 3 from the GNOME
overlay. It all works basically flawless.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México