>> I created the backup users and everything works as long as the backup
>> users have shells on the backup server and are listed in AllowUsers in
>> /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the backup server.  Did I do something wrong
>> or should the backup users need shells and to be listed in AllowUsers?
>
> I'm not too familiar with rsync backups. A shell might be required, but if you
> set the command run on the server-side in the "authorized_keys" it should
> prevent any other command from being run.

I'm actually talking about rdiff-backup.  I'm prompted for a password
if the backup user doesn't have a shell.  Are you able to rdiff-backup
without a shell on the backup server?

>> Should I set up any extra restrictions for them in sshd_config?
>
> I have disabled all password-logins and only allow shared-key logins.

I want to be prompted for a password with my normal user but I want
the backup users to be restricted.  I tried
'ChallengeResponseAuthentication no' within a Match block for a backup
user but ChallengeResponseAuthentication isn't allowed in a Match
block.  Are my options to restrict all users or none?

- Grant