Nick Rout schreef:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:12:31 -0700
> Zac Medico wrote:
>

>>Hi Paul,
>>
>>Are we really far behind?  That's difficult to believe.  For what packages
>>specifically?  Do
>
> you know how to unmask unstable packages (marked M or M~ at
> packages.gentoo.org)?
>
> Unstable does not really cut it IMHO. I am a gentoo enthusiast through
> and through, but plonking something in portage with a ~ beside it does
> not constitute a release of a recent version IMHO.

OK, I'll bite. What then do you consider "a release of a recent version"
to be constituted from?

If it's been released upstream, and it's in Portage a couple of hours
later, so I can install it, I don't know what more you could want....
what, you want a Mandrake- (or worse, still, Debian) -style wait of
months before you can use the upstream version?

I'll grant you that it's sometimes a little bumpy... but then you might
as well be running Slack or something (not that there's anything wrong
with Slackware except the appalling package management).

But since I have yet to find a problem I couldn't solve in a few
minutes-- and if I couldn't, it was clearly a dev issue/b.g.o issue,
where I could generally count on it to be solved within hours, if not
prior to my discovery-- I really can't quite see what you're on about.

What would be different in the Gentoo you envision?

Holly