On Sunday 21 August 2011 14:53:15 Joost Roeleveld wrote:

> That would help as I'm planning on setting this up myself as well for my
> netbook.

Right. I have two Konsoles open on my workstation, which is the compilation
host. In one I "su -" and in the
other I "ssh serv" (this is the client Atom box, which among other things runs
http-replicator to serve the
portage tree to the LAN). Naming is going to get confusing if I'm not careful,
so I'll refer to the ssh session as
"Atom" and the compilation host as "Host". Then my steps are:

Host:   # /etc/init.d/atom start        (this is the script I showed yesterday)
                # linux32 chroot /mnt/atom /bin/bash
                # env-update && . /etc/profile

Atom:   $ sudo emerge --sync && sudo eix-update

Host:   # emerge --sync && emerge -auvD -j 5 --changed-use --keep-going world

Atom:   $ sudo emerge -auDkv --jobs=3 --changed-use --with-bdeps y --keep-going
world

Host:   (various clean-up operations such as depclean, eclean and localepurge)
                # exit
                # /etc/init.d/atom stop

Atom:   (similar cleaning up)
                $ exit

That's it as far as I remember.

> Is there a way to automate the steps inside the chroot without having to
> have a script inside the chroot?

I'd be reluctant to try to automate it any more than this. It's about as simple
to use as can be and as I want it.
I've set up aliases for most of those long commands to save my wrists, and of
course command-line recall is
wonderful. The task that takes longest is portage on the Atom calculating what
packages it needs to emerge
from.

I try not to forget to copy any USE-flag changes etc between the Atom and the
chroot, but of course I'm no
more than human.

--
Rgds
Peter           Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23