On 5 September 2011 02:24, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
>  Whilst spelunking through ebuild files I notice that in addition to
> the usual ~amd64 and ~x86 keywords, I also see ~amd64-linux and
> ~x86-linux.  What is the significance of this?
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>

As far as I am aware, Gentoo now supports something called prefix
installations where you can use portage on top of (at least some of)
the BSD's and Solaris and some old-school Unixes and other operating
systems that aren't linux, the ~x86-linux keywords are to just signify
that it's only being stabilised for linux, not any of the other
operating systems. I could be wrong though.