On Wednesday 07 September 2011 07:16:11 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Pretty lame and pretty OT, but here it is:
>
> I've installed Opera... in the last 40 min or so, I've attempted to
> determine how to set a home page.  Googled etc.
>
> Directions found on google appear NOT to apply to linux version.
>
> Navigate to and click the preferences link at top of opera page.
>
> NOT... there is no such link.
>
> So, how is it done... well maybe a preferences file found in ~/.opera/
>
> vim operaprefs.ini  ... and then insert:
> Home URL=www.google.com/ig
>    (save and restart) .. once again NOT.
>
> Even watched a video... which shows a nice person clicking on
> preferences Icon... but well ... there isn't one.  Check all available
> toolbars by clicking `customize' on existing top mast but not finding
> a menu like that.
>
> Is opera really so poorly designed as to make such a simple operation
> so time consuming, or am I missing something really basic (as usual).
>
> How is such a simple operation done?

Are you asking how to set the page which opens the first time you launch
Opera? With the version I have installed (11.50.1074), you have to click on
the Opera button, just below the title bar and at the left of the first open
tab. A menu will popup. There you'll find a 'Settings' menu and a
'Preferences' submenu inside it. Clicking on Preferences displays a dialog
where, in the General tab, you can choose the starting page. There you can
also tell Opera to always load a saved session or the last used one.

Please, be aware the names of menus and dialogs I mentioned above may be
slightly different from those: I have installed Opera in Italian, so I don't
kown what are the English versions of the names.

I hope this helps

Stefano