On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:23:36 -0400
Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is a matter of what else do you end having in /bin and /lib.
> Remember that udev rules can execute arbitrary code. Do all that code
> needs to be moved to /bin and /lib also?

Why should it not move to /bin and /lib?

Is there a valid case where udev can and should execute arbitrary code
that is completely under the control of a *non-root* user?

We are discussing device nodes. That to me is a root-only function.
Root can access /. The package manager runs as root. Simply put all
code that udev runs into /bin, /sbin and /lib.

Why not restrict the location of said code to the one place where root
is guaranteed to always be able to get to it? It's a reasonable
restriction - the code must be guaranteed to exist on the same
partition as /, where it is guaranteed to be accessible.

> I keep telling: it is a difficult problem.

And I maintain it is the same problem. It is code that is required for
a minimal system to run.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com