pk wrote:
On 2011-09-09 13:35, Alex Schuster wrote:

When I switched to using an initramfs, it was not very complicated. I
simply use genkernel. With CLEAN="no" and MRPROPER="no", it uses my
/usr/src/linux/.config and does not change the kernel options. Then comes
genkernel --install --lvm -luks all, and I have kernel and initramfs
And for those that like to do without genkernel? Again, adding another
layer for things to go wrong.

I tried genkernel. All I got was a kernel that wouldn't boot. Heck, it barely even started to boot. The kernel wouldn't even finish loading. After several tries, I put genkernel in the trash. It worked a LOT better there for me. It was out of sight and mind. ;-)

I don't get this one. Why do you want to copy an existing /usr partition
to another one?
He said he wishes to move his /usr to a spare partition (the part about
KDE4)... I assume his /usr currently resides on / (or maybe a smaller
partition that he cannot easily expand).

You hit it, for some reason I put /usr on the root partition without thinking. This is where I am now:

rootfs                19534436  10693048   8841388  55% /

Over half full. When I have a critical partition get over 60%, I start looking for expansion. Moving /usr was my plan but someone stole that from me I guess. Now I got to figure out what I want to do next.

Yes, I also feel sorry for guys like Alan. But for us desktop users
I think's it's not such a big deal.
I'm a desktop and a (personal server) user and I think it's quite a big
deal. I want simplicity; adding layers increases complexity. I think
it's the same for Dale and most other people objecting to this. To me
it's a very big deal (this is a deal breaker, or close to it). I've been
using Linux continously since around 1998 (well, I did my first install
on my amiga 4000 in 1995 using 9 floppy disks, don't remember the
distro) and I've been using (not much administration though) Solaris,
AIX and HP-UX since around that time as well (at school&  at work). It
seems some developers are hell bent on inventing Windows all over again
(this goes not only for udev but also for Gnome and their supporting
libraries)...

Best regards

Peter K

I'm a desktop user to and I'm not liking this one bit.

Dale

:-)  :-)