William Kenworthy wrote:
On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 19:06 -0500, Dale wrote:
Neil Bothwick wrote:
I did name it pretty well. It is called "test" right now. lol Right now, I'm just having fun. The biggest difference so far is that I can see with my new glasses. I just wish I didn't have arthritis in my neck and could move my head better. It's hard to switch between normal and the bifocal thingys.
try multifocal - makes stairs ... fun.

It was night time and I was walking. I decided to walk through the garden which means crossing the ditch. Let's just say that first step was fun. When I looked at the ground, I was looking through the reading part. I found out it was deeper than my eyes said.

I'm getting this LVM thing down pat tho.

cfdisk to create partitions, if not using the whole drive.
pvcreate
vgcreate
lvcreate
then put on a file system and mount.

I still get them confused as to what comes first but I got some pictures
to look at now.  That helps to picture what I am doing, sort of.

Thanks to all for the advice tho.  It's helping.  Still nervous about /
on LVM tho.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)

I'll second the recommendation about naming ... I use separate
partitions and lvm on everything except root (for recovery reasons) and
small single drive systems ... been a real saver when partitions fill up
or when a system is re-purposed and you have to change the storage
profile .  Make sure every lvm you use is uniquely named ... I am just
going through retrieving drives from two older (both lvm) systems and
pushing them into a single storage (and everything else) sever, also
lvm.

Make sure if you remove a drive and dont intend using it immediately,
delete the lvm data to prevent future grief ... it can happen at home as
well as in data centres :)

BillK

Should I include the drive itself? Like sda, sdb etc. I could use my system name too. I'm on fireball and my older rig is named smoker. See a trend here? lol Anyway, this could work:

fireball-sda
fireball-sdb
fireball-sdc

That would keep things straight I would think.  Thoughts?

If I do move one tho, I would likely erase the LVM stuff anyway. This rig is amd64 and my old rig is x86. It's not like I can move one to the other. Plus, smoker is IDE and fireball is SATA. I do have one IDE connector in fireball and a SATA card in smoker tho. It could happen.

Jeepers, this could turn into a full blown meeting of the minds.  O_O

Dale

:-)  :-)