Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:27:45 -0700
Mark Knecht<markkne...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Then I get confused.  I get to Applications and I'm sort of lost
here.  In there it talks about copying nano and its friends over to
the init directory.  Then below that it says to use busybox.  Well,
which is it?  Do I do both of those or just one?

It's been a while for me but I believe it's both. I think busybox is
the thing that gives you command line tools like cd, ls, pwd, etc.
However you also can include applications in your initramfs that give
you more access to the hardware or the net.
True.

Busybox is a tiny userland implementing most of the common options for
most of the common Unix commands. When you log into your ADSL
router/modem and get a shell, it's probably busybox running there,
not GNU util-linux stuff.

Binary distros often put busybox in their initrds as it doubles up as a
rescue environment and busybox is many times smaller than the full GNU
stuff. It's up to you if you want to do that or not; if all you use an
initrd for is a convenient place to store drivers to be able to
mount /usr, then you will have no need for busybox in it.

Unless something goes wrong. You know how I am. Murphy's law and all. lol

Dale

:-)  :-)