On 18.09.2011 21:01, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I've been looking around for a way to install gentoo just by plopping
> an ISO into a known partition,.
>
> I'm not getting much from google on this search string:
>    install gentoo directly from iso.  Or I should say:
>
> I've found a couple of how toos but they involve quite a lot of mumbo
> jumbo like this one:
>
> http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/boot-livecd-iso-image-from-hdd/305
>
> I can follow that alright but first wanted to make sure there
> is not a well established mainstream way of doing it.

Maybe this helps:

Boot the ISO image from the disk using Grub2
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Easy_install_SystemRescueCd_on_harddisk#Boot_the_ISO_image_from_the_disk_using_Grub2

Here is my grub config:
set isofile="/systemrescuecd-x86-2.3.1.iso"
loopback loop (vg_8540w-lv_boot)$isofile
linux (loop)/isolinux/rescue64 docache setkmap=sg isoloop=$isofile
initrd (loop)/isolinux/initram.igz

If you use "docache", you are able to unmount your partition after
booting...

I don't know if this works with the Gentoo livecd...