paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Getting a manager to write your wpa_supplicant.conf for you (in
> > > effect), has been the right way of configuring wifi for the average
> > > user for years now. It's a real shame that this isn't promoted more in
> > > the gentoo handbook and/or the Wifi guide.
> > >
> > > I added a patch to the wifi guide a while back, but I really find the
> > > gentoo documentation workflow so over-burdening that I usually work on
> > > gentoo-wiki instead. It's pretty dispiriting to see people using
> > > troublesome tools when there's better ways out there :(
> >
> > If I am correct, wic only works if you have gnome -- what if you have a
> > server or a computer without gnome or kde?
> >

> The homepage says that a GUI is not needed, one can use wicd-curses to
manage things interactively.

> That said, servers really shouldn't have any wlan* interface. Especially
enterprise-y ones.

> For servers, init.d hacking should be more suitable.

Ah yes, the Gentoo handbook explicitly states:

Note: wicd offers a command line utility in addition to the main graphical
interface. You can get it by emerging wicd with the ncurses USE flag set.
This wicd-curses utility is particularly useful for folks who don't use a
gtk-based desktop environment, but still want an easy command line tool that
doesn't require hand-editing configuration files.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=4

Rgds,