On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I've been trying to use Qemu to do some test installs of Ubuntu
> server.  I've used Qemu successfully in the past, but it seems to have
> hit a dead end.  The "stable" version (0.11) of Qemu just plain
> doesn't work. There are constant segfaults and kernel panics in the
> guest environment.
>
> I updated to the ~x86 version (0.14) -- while the guest OS installs
> and runs OK, kernel acceleration (kqemu module) is no longer
> supported, and without it Qemu is really slow.
>
> For now I've switched to VirtualBox, but the console implementation in
> VirtualBox is nightmarishly slow. When I do -l looks like it's
> scrolling by at about 9600 baud.
>
> Is Qemu dead?  Or just dying?
>
> --
> Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! What UNIVERSE is
> this,
>                                  at               please??
>                              gmail.com

I've been using QEMU on, nearly, a daily basis for the last few months. Last
I checked, I believe they're on track for a v1.0 release in November or
December. I, honestly, haven't had many problems with unexpected segfaults
on either Gentoo or Ubuntu, so I can't give any advice for that. As for the
speed issue, have you tried building KVM into the kernel or at least as a
mod?

- Matt