That was exactly what I was thinking...
My doubt arose when I got the following reply of a dual-boot installation with Ubuntu and Gentoo:
"you have to use the same kernel from the Ubuntu installation for Gentoo (unless or course you manually upgrade it), however either way you end up with vanilla."
Even that this guy/girl has /boot inside Ubuntu's partition, it still needs (in case he wants 2 different kernels) to place gentoo's kernel inside /boot so that he can start gentoo.

Thanks for the replies.
Fernando.

On 8/16/05, Christoph Gysin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Fernando Meira wrote:
> I was told the following, which I don't agree, but in any case, I would
> like to hear from someone that knows :)
> - when having 2 different distro on 1 pc, do they have to use the same
> kernel?
> Even if they share the same swap partition and /boot is inside the root
> of one of the distros (and not in a separate partition)...

No, they don't have to. But they could ;-)

The bootloader could select the distribution by passing the "root=/dev/hda?"
boot parameter.

Christoph
--
echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" [EMAIL PROTECTED]