On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 07:51:04 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> /boot/grub/grub.cfg itself is 111 lines.  Its not the most complex
> script going but for me it would take some serious study for an hour
> or more to figure out what is happening in it.  But of course you are
> not supposed to edit grub.cfg directly.

But you can if you wish.

> It is orders of magnitude more complicated in my opinion... I'm not
> sure what the advantages are supposed to be.

Better automation.

> Also, its not clear how one would install a new kernel.  Where to put
> the information and so forth.

See above. You don't put anything anywhere when installing a new kernel,
just run grub-update and it will be found and added to the menu. At the
same time, any old kernels you have deleted will be removed.

--
Neil Bothwick

System halted - hit any Microsoft employee to continue.