On Saturday 08 October 2011, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 10/08/11 13:43, Francesco Talamona wrote:
> > x11-terms/rxvt-unicode is one of the program I use the most, today
> > I lost the ability to have multiple tabs and almost panicked.
> >
> > I found the solution to have back this essential feature: re-enable
> > "perl" USE flag for this package and re-emerge.
> >
> > Just wanted to share my experience.
> > HTH
>
> I'm going to start a bug-filing campaign against packages like this
> some day. The only description we ever get for use flag foo is
> 'enable support for foo', which doesn't tell you anything at all
> about how it affects a given package.
>
> There are a number of packages with perl and python use flags where
> disabling the use flag will silently disable essential functionality.
> In my opinion, the use flag should simply be removed rather than
> have what amounts to USE=make_it_work_properly.
>
> I agree with the (default) removal of the perl and python flags:
>
>   http://blog.jolexa.net/
>
> but you should complain about packages that are basically broken
> without them.

I'm not going to complain, though I'm willing to point out (e.g.
commenting on relevant bug reports) that some packages are affected in a
bad way by this move.

To be honest I didn't look for a solution in b.g.o because it was
straightforward; even if not so manifest for me the link between the
perl flag and the ability for rxvt to run tabbed (given that it doesn't
give an error).

I don't want to be blunt, but your plan looks to me quite vague.
My opinion is that some packages should have a different default.

Regards
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 3.0.4-gentoo, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 31 07:34:34
CEST 2011