On Wednesday, 12. October 2011 18:02:16 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12 2011, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
> > gnome-shell segfaults.
> > I remember some problems with gnome-shell and GL from the dri-devel-ML.
> > What video-card are you using? Drivers/version?
> > Is there any other WM you can start, execute
> > gnome-shell --replace
> > in a console and dump the output here?
> > Could you try running gnome in "fallback-mode"?
> > Afaik you can enable this with
> > gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome-fallback
>
> Actually the gnome-shell segfault is the 2nd problem.  gdm crashes with
> Oh no, a problem has occurred unless its gnome-shell use flag is
> disabled, which could possibly be the cause of gnome-shell failing.

Couldn't it be the other way round?
gdm crashes with gnome-shell use-flag set, because gnome-shell segfaults?
It runs without the flag, because in this case there's no dep to the shell.

> Canek has suggested we attack the gdm problem (see other msgs in this
> thread) and that is the current plan.  Unfortunately we are still not
> there.

Imo both problems are related (see above).

> In bug 385525, those who needed -gnome-shell for gdm could then not get
> gnome-shell to run (i.e., just like me).
>
> It does seem that many are successfully running gdm so I must have
> something wrong in my setup.  What use flags did you build gdm with.
> Here is mine
>      Installed versions:  3.2.0-r1[1](05:47:00 PM 10/12/2011)(accessibility
> consolekit elibc_glibc gnome-shell introspection ipv6 tcpd xklavier -debug
> -fprint -gnome-keyring -selinux -smartcard -test -xinerama)

Well, I do not use gnome :) But I am quite good in reading logs, coredumps and
things like that :)

> thanks for the help,
> allan

Best,