Hello, Gentoo!

I'm using Gnome 2.32.1 in X11.

My mouse pointers have all acquired unwanted borders.  That is to say,
where there used just to be a solid black arrow, it is now surrounded by
a black outline enclosing a white outline around the arrow.

I don't like this!  I didn't ask for it!

I first noticed this problem while starting Firefox.  It seemed to hiccup
a bit (I think), and then all pointers (in all applications) went bad.

I've looked inside Gnome "preferences", but can't find a way to change
the pointers back.  I suspect this is an X setting rather than a Gnome
one.

Can anybody point me at a solution?

TIA,

--