Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If you have only one CD drive, the CD will play with:
> >
> >        cdda2wav -e -B -N
> >
> > Jörg
>
> On my system here the above command didn't result in any audio being
> played, nor do I find any files left on disk. I suspect it's because
> of the message:
>
> cdda2wav: Bad file descriptor. Cannot open sound device '/dev/dsp'.
>
> Now, I have a Virtualbox VM open running Windows NT where I was
> watching a movie earlier. Possibly it still has /dev/dsp locked?
>
>  mark@c2stable ~ $ ls -la /dev/dsp
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 14, 3 Oct 19 06:23 /dev/dsp
> mark@c2stable ~ $

Well, then it may be impossible to create sound on your system in this state.

> The listing below took about 1 minute to generate.

Well, it did also _read_ the whole disk.

cdda2wav was able to extract the audio data and would have produced sound in
case that the audio devices was accessible.

If I got the problem correctly, then other software was not able to find the
right way to access the drive.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin