On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Colleen Beamer
<colleen.bea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/11 05:45, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> Colleen Beamer <colleen.bea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I have googled this problem and tried everything and can't seem to
>>> resolve the issue.
>>>
>>> My CD drive will read data CD's, but will not play audio CD's.  I've
>>> tried with kscd and Kaffeine.  Haven't installed amarok yet.  I've
>>> checked and rechecked my settings in the kernel.  In /dev cdrom is a
>>> symlink to sr0.  Nothing I've read in anything that came up in my google
>>> search helped.
>> If you have only one CD drive, the CD will play with:
>>
>>       cdda2wav -e -B -N
>
> Thanks, but this isn't really necessary any longer.  The only thing that
> doesn't want to play an audio CD is kscd.  Kaffeine works fine.  Tried
> to install kaudiocreator to rip CD's, but it kept crashing on start so,
> I found Asunder and it works well.  So, despite the fact that I'm not
> 100% tickled since I'm a bit anal and like all things tied up in a neat
> little box with a bow, I have audio CD's playing in kaffeine and I am
> able to rip them using asunder.
>
> However, I will keep this for future reference in case I ever need it!  :-)
>
> Regards,

If you get around to trying other ways later then consider not using a
GUI at all for ripping CDs. Here's what I do, thanks to Joerg years
ago. Obviously change parameters as you see fit. One caveat about this
command set is that it doesn't grab any hidden tracks.

Cheers,
Mark

cdda2wav dev=1000,1,0 -vall -B -Owav -paranoia -speed=6
cdrecord dev=1000,1,0 -eject
cdrecord dev=1000,1,0 -v -speed=6 -dao -useinfo -text -eject *.wav
rm audio*